After a number of delays, Volkswagen’s most powerful SUV and their most powerful production model to date will soon be available in Australia, with the ‘Touareg R’ due to arrive in local dealerships this March.
“The Touareg R delivers the performance, the handling and the options-free appeal expected of our popular R division, while providing flagship SUV customers with greater choice and flexibility than ever,” said Volkswagen Australia passenger vehicles director, Michal Szaniecki.
The first VW PHEV to be offered in Australia, the Touareg R is a successor to the V8 diesel Touareg R-Line from 2020 and the V10 twin-turbo diesel Touareg R50 from 2008. Power comes from a 3.0-litre turbocharged petrol V6, producing 250kW and 450Nm, matched to a 100kW/400Nm electric motor for a claimed combined output of 340kW and 700Nm.
A kickdown function always activates the turbo V6, which combined with full electric power, results in 0-100km/h acceleration in 5.1 seconds. An eight-speed automatic transmission sends drive to all four wheels via VW’s 4MOTION all-wheel drive system.
Unsurprisingly, the hybrid petrol V6 is more efficient than the diesel V8 and V10, with claimed combined cycle fuel economy of 3.3lt/100km and an electric-only range of 51km. Mode 2 (Type 2 to Australian powerpoint) and Mode 3 (Type 2 to Type 2) charging cables are provided, allowing at-home and on-road charging flexibility, but no details on recharge time have been provided.
“We know most of our Touareg customers have garages at home, and they will be able to plug their vehicle in at night as they would their smartphone, and drive with zero or close to zero emissions for their everyday driving,” Szaniecki added.
The Touareg R’s loaded specification includes air suspension, 19-inch front and 18-inch rear ventilated disc brakes with ‘R’ blue calipers, 22-inch ‘Estoril’ alloy wheels, direct tyre pressure monitoring, power latching doors, an Easy Open&Close power tailgate and panoramic sunroof with electric blind.
Cosmetic features include high gloss black roof rails and window surrounds, a blacked-out grille and rear apron, black sports exhaust and black mirror caps. The mirrors themselves project the ‘R’ logo when the front doors are opened.
Also standard is Night Vision, an R-exclusive feature that incorporates a thermal imaging camera to detect humans and wildlife at night, viewable via a Digital Cockpit Pro display. Dynamic Road Sign Display on the Touareg R is a VW first for Australia, with other safety and driver-assistance features including IQ.LIGHT Matrix LED headlights with adaptive high-beam, Manoeuvre Braking front and rear, Adaptive Cruise Control with Travel Assist, Lane Assist, Emergency Assist, Proactive Occupant Protection and Side Assist with Front and Rear Cross Traffic Alert.
Towing capacity is unchanged at 3500kg, but boot space is reduced to 610 litres to accommodate the EV battery pack.
Inside, seating for five in Pantera Black Puglia leather includes powered front seats with memory settings and heated front and outboard rear seats. There’s also a power adjustable steering column with memory function, R sports steering wheel, four-zone climate control, head-up display, illuminated front door sill plates with R logo and brushed aluminium decorative inserts as part of the comprehensive specification.
Tech in the cabin is based around VW’s ‘Innovision’ cockpit layout includes a 12-inch instrument display and 15-inch centre touchscreen, Wireless App-Connect functionality, wireless smartphone charging, a Dynaudio premium sound system and five USB-C ports across front and rear seats.
The Touareg R will arrive in March with a list price of $129,990 (+ ORCs), which is the same as the 2008 Touareg R50 and $6,500 cheaper than the Touareg R-Line from four years ago. The loaded spec means there are no optional extras, with the only additional costs being for prestige paint.
With Australia being one of the strongest R markets for VW globally, the Touareg R is expected to sell well, as it combines R performance with PHEV efficiency.
Arrival of the Touareg R should coincide with local release of the mid-cycle Touareg update announced last year. Model grades and pricing for the rest of the Touareg lineup have yet to be revealed, but 170TDI and 210TDI diesels are expected to continue.
To pre-order and to get more details, see your Volkswagen dealer.
2024 Volkswagen Touareg R – specification
- 340kW/700Nm 3.0L turbocharged petrol V6 and electric motor
- Eight-speed automatic
- 4MOTION permanent all-wheel drive
- 52km EV-only driving range**
- Mode 2 charging cable (Type 2 to Australian powerpoint)
- Mode 3 charging cable (Type 2 to Type 2)
- Air suspension
- 22-inch Estoril alloy wheels in glossy black
- Direct tyre pressure monitoring
- 19-inch front and 18-inch rear ventilated disc brakes with blue calipers and R logo
- High gloss black roof rails and window surrounds
- Black exterior mirror shells
- Blacked out front grille and rear apron
- Black sports exhaust
- ‘R’ logo projection from the front mirrors
- Power latching doors
- Easy Open&Close electric tailgate
- Panoramic sunroof with electric blind
- Night Vision
- Dynamic Road Sign Display
- IQ.LIGHT Matrix LED headlamps with adaptive high-beam
- Manoeuvre Braking front and rear
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Travel Assist
- Lane Assist
- Emergency Assist
- Proactive Occupant Protection
- Side Assist with Front and Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Innovision cockpit (15” Discover Premium & 12” Digital Cockpit Pro)
- Wireless App-Connect
- Wireless smartphone charging
- Dynaudio premium sound system
- 5 x USB-C ports between front and rear.
- Pantera Black Puglia leather seat upholstery
- Front seats with memory settings
- Heated front and outboard rear seats
- R sports steering wheel
- Quad-zone climate control
- Windshield projected head-up display
- Illuminated front scuff plates with R logo
- Power adjustable steering column with memory
- Brushed aluminium decorative inserts